Benefits and Advantages
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU:
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a highly effective martial art for men, women, and children. It relies on leverage, timing, and proper technique to overcome larger, stronger, and more aggressive opponents. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a sophisticated grappling system, which includes throws, hold downs, and submissions. It can be practiced recreationally, or competitively, at all ages. Regular practice of this martial art encourages a high level of physical fitness, increased coordination, a developed problem solving ability, and camaraderie.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a powerful system of self defense. It forms the basis for the U.S. Army’s Modern Combatives program. It is considered a foundational discipline for professional mixed martial artists. Many of the techniques are also well suited for women’s self defense situations. While speed and strength will always be factors in physical altercations, a well trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner, male or female, will be able to negate much of his/her opponent’s power through the use of proper technique, leverage, and timing.
There are many benefits to the study of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It fosters positive changes in character that have beneficial effects in a wide set of contexts.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches the most effective means of self defense available so students build confidence in themselves.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches individual responsibility since students face opponents alone, both in training and in competition.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu encourages students to grow in their ability to fit into a group working toward a common goal since students cannot grow in skill level without a team of training partners upon whom they depend for development.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches perseverance, since it takes time and effort for students to develop their skills to their best ability.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu cultivates a strong work ethic since students quickly learn that there are no secret techniques that will substitute for hard work and sweat.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches students to judge others’ ability by their actual substance, rather than superficial elements, such as external appearance.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches the lesson of tackling problems through the use of strategy rather than brute strength and aggression. There is a tremendous sense of problem solving in the art.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu enables students to grow emotionally since students will have to confront and overcome the inevitable failures and mistakes that will occur in the course of training and competing.